Frog Sumi-e: Basho's Poetic Leap T-Shirt
Enjoy the serene world of Basho's poetic frog, rendered in stunning sumi-e ink style. This one-of-a-kind design captures the ephemeral beauty of nature and the deep traditions of Japanese haiku.
Old pond / A frog jumps in / Splash! / Silence again.
- 古池(ふるいけ) old pond [This sets the tranquil, timeless scene]
- や a particle indicating exclamation or emphasis [commonly used in poetry and classical texts]
- 蛙(かわず) frog [かわず is an archaic reading for “frog”. In modern Japanese, “frog” is かえる]
- 飛(と)びこむ to jump in; to leap into [This is the act that disrupts the tranquility; it is made of 飛ぶ (to fly; to jump) and こむ (into; to go into)]
- 水(みず) water [part of the setting]
- の modifying particle [links the water to its sound; it isn’t just any “sound” but the “sound of water”]
- 音(おと) sound [The sound created by the frog's action]
• 100% ring-spun cotton
• Sport Grey is 90% ring-spun cotton, 10% polyester
• Dark Heather is 65% polyester, 35% cotton
• 4.5 oz/yd² (153 g/m²)
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping
• Quarter-turned to avoid crease down the center
• Blank product sourced from Bangladesh, Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Haiti or Guatemala
This product is made especially for you as soon as you place an order, which is why it takes us a bit longer to deliver it to you. Making products on demand instead of in bulk helps reduce overproduction, so thank you for making thoughtful purchasing decisions!
|LENGTH (inches)||WIDTH (inches)|
|LENGTH (cm)||WIDTH (cm)|