The Keys to the Chinese Characters — Master the History, Meaning, and Usage of Japanese Kanji
Do you think learning and really understanding Japanese kanji is impossible?
Who was Shizuka Shirakawa?
Who is this for?
It is for lovers of kanji. Period. Think of this as the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) of Japanese kanji dictionaries. If you want to learn kanji--really know kanji--this book is for you. It is also for anyone interested in non-modern Japanese. I would not recommend this for beginners of Japanese, although much of the explanations may be interesting. It is not an easy read.
- SHIRAKAWA METHOD — Includes vocabulary and a commentary on the Shirakawa approach.
- FULLY INDEXED — Alphabetical vocabulary and classifier index.
- THOROUGH CHARACTER FORM EXPLANATIONS — Practical commentary explains the history of each character, revealing the hitherto undisclosed secrets of kanji.
- FOR ENGLISH SPEAKERS — This amazing resource is the world's first truly independent look into kanji-guru Shirakawa's work and gives English-speaking readers an unbiased and time-saving access to the best kanji method available.
- For a taste of of his work, here is a series of Youtube lectures (in Japanese) about his method.